Sunday, October 16, 2011

Which words should we live by?

My colleague had a sub on Friday, the same one who has subbed for us in the past. "It has a different feel in here this year. Calmer, more focused. Just thought you should know". He's right: we've found our groove, at least for the moment. Each year has it's own issues, which is part of what I love about my job-- it keeps me on my toes.

My struggle this year is to balance the need of teaching the Sunnies to conform while helping them keep the parts of themselves that make them unique. When do you 'go along to get along' and when do you 'march to your own beat'? Those answers can be different on any given day-- or any given moment. I hate to watch them beat their heads against the wall again and again, knowing it's going to end badly; yet, I am proud of them for standing their ground and believing in themselves, no matter what else anyone says.

Maybe I should start playing the Gambler:
You've got to know when to hold 'em
Know when to fold 'em
Know when to walk away, and know when to run...

No comments: