Monday, January 06, 2014

what happens when The Pioneer Woman meets Joe Posnanski

We all know how I am with recipes. I can look for a recipe using chicken and pesto and come away making beef and broccoli. Well, last week we had an abundance of eggs and I could not let myself be distracted and end up making something with, I don't know, oatmeal and fruit and whipped cream or something. I searched for all sorts of egg casseroles, and didn't really find what I wanted.

So I made one up.

Again, this thing with recipes... when I create something (which I do a lot) I grab what I have available. The chances of me replicating it are pretty slim.... most of the time. This one,  I remember. This one I will make again. It was really yummy, even if no one else in my family has trusted me enough to try it. If I eat the whole thing myself, then lucky me.

Bacon Breakfast Casserole

1/2 lb cooked bacon*
1/4 red pepper**
1/4 onion**
2 cooked baked potatoes
6 eggs
1/4 c milk
1/3 c shredded mozzarella cheese

*Remember, I don't measure things. I'm guessing here, people. Make your best guess as well.
**It's all I had left. I'd have used a whole one if I'd had it.

Fry up the bacon. Let it drain. Fry up the potatoes in the bacon grease. Let them drain then put them in a casserole dish. Fry up the onions and peppers and put them over the potatoes. Crumble bacon over the top.

Meanwhile, mix up the eggs, milk, and cheese. Add pepper (I didn't add salt because of all the bacon. You do what feels right.) Pour over the casserole. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Or something like that.

No comments: