Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Calling All Angels

I woke up singing this song this morning, wondering what my subconscious was telling me. I did not have to wonder long. When I got to school I learned that a former graduate of our school passed away last night as the result of a car accident. She was a tangential Sunshine-- I never had her in class, but she was friends with many, many of mine. To say we are in shock is an understatement.

Earlier this spring WB and I were discussing contract negotiations (he's on the team). They had come to agreement about the length of bereavement leave stipulated in the contract: we acknowledged that in many ways you just have to pick a number, because how can you put a timeline on grief? I have been amazingly lucky to have been spared close impact on many tragedies, although they are getting closer. I pray that I continue to be lucky and be spared immediate tragedy; I also pray that my Sunshines remember that I am always on their shoulder and want them to make smart choices. I do not know what caused the accident, but I do know how teens view driving. I need them to remember that while they feel invincible, they are not all so. Don't speed. Don't drink and drive. Don't ride with someone who has been drinking. Don't drink, for that matter. Don't text and drive. Please, please, please don't die.

calling all angels, calling all angels
walk me through this one
don't leave me alone
callin' all angels, callin' all angels
we're tryin', we're hopin', we're hurtin', we're lovin', we're cryin', we're callin'
'cause we're not sure how this goes

I hope she is at peace, and that she did not die in vain.

3 comments:

Amity said...

:(

Amity said...

I think it is incredible that the Sunshines all came to you today--even though they are officially "free"--you gave them a place to grieve. You are amazing.

Wendy said...

I'm so sorry, Rachel.