Wednesday, November 03, 2010

it's so much easier when you've got someone to lean on

Yesterday I had a meeting after school. We start these meetings with a check in: we go around the table and everyone says something-- life is good, my truck is dead, had a hard day, it's my birthday... even "I've got nothing" is an option. Mine included a reflection of all that's going on... and the acknowledgment that, in spite of it all, I love my job. I am making gains. We are making gains. It could always be worse. And on those bad days, there are people around who will hold me up until I can stand on my own again.

Meeting continues, I get picked up by WB because his truck died and he took the van to run errands. We call for a tow truck, vote in the statewide election, and continue on our day. Later in the evening I get a text from a Sunshine telling me about all that happened in his afternoon... and suffice it to say it put our parked-truck-with-leaking-brakes story to shame. Monday night I had a graduated Sunshine call because "I always feel better after talking to you". Two others popped in after school, just because they could.

It may not look like it every day, but we are getting somewhere. I may not be able to solve many of their problems, but at least they don't have to go through it alone.

No comments: