Monday, January 24, 2011

it takes a village

And that village showed up tonight.

Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and family friends. Teachers, who were there to support the students and to support me. Administrators, current and former students. Nieces and nephews. A room full of love and support for 2 wonderful boys who are now high school graduates.

When I look out at an event like this, I get choked up. Partly because graduations always make me cry happy tears, but mostly because you don't often get to see what love looks like, and I get to, almost every year.

I believe in the importance of connectedness. (My Loyal Readers can attest!) I know that it takes more than one person to help us make it. We all need friends, family, teachers, and community members checking in and cheering for our success and supporting us in our mistakes. And while there are different levels of involvement, they are all vital. On nights like this, I get to see it, and feel it, and give it shape and form.

I love my job. It is often really, really hard, but it is always rewarding. Congratulations, boys. I am very, very proud. Thank you for letting me be a part of your village.

No comments: