Thursday, April 14, 2011

This is why.

Today was swimming along. I was handing out books for 6th period and a few of them said "I don't need one." They were working on job applications, or doing make up work, or just not 'into it'. And so I let it fly, because I keep my classroom pretty real*. "Sometimes I wonder why I even bother."

"Because you love us and you want to help us succeed."

Point taken, with probably the truest statement of the week. Even in the midst of chaos, we're moving forward.

For the record, they paid better attention and were more involved in the discussion than when they all have their books open.Who knew? Clearly not me...


*I've been reading Confessions of a Pioneer Woman like it's a novel. Don't ask me why it took me this long, but I am currently hooked. Maybe it's because I finished my last novel and am resisting starting the next one? Anyway, because I pick up speech patterns like no one's business, her phrases have been floating through my head all week. Just keepin' it real about keepin' it real.

No comments: