Saturday, July 18, 2009

Oh, there's nothing half way about the Iowa way to treat you*

Today was just about driving. We left Albert Lea, MN, after a "free" continental breakfast that gave new meaning to not having too high an expectation in such situations. Gas was cheap, though-- $2.37 or something-- and so we dumped the awful joe and filled up the van. ("You mean mini-van" Nanny.) In under an hour were in Iowa, and I started singing the above song (that was a hint, friends.) Iowa isn't bad-- a bit more topography and lots of farmland. Heck, any state that legalizes gay marriage before our state is ok with me! Miles clicked away, and before we knew it we were crossing the Mississippi. Now that came close to making me tear up: I take great pride in being someone who lives East of the Mississippi, so actually being East of that river made me happy. And, checking milage with Boy, we decided we were half way home. 2.5 more days. 2 more hotel rooms. 10 more meals. Within reach, for sure.

Crossing the Mississippi got us into Illinois, and about 65 miles later back into EDT. Our clock matches home! We stopped for dinner in South Bend and waved to Mr. Basketball from the road. The goal of today was to get into Ohio, and WB was determined to meet that goal. And so here we are, at the first EconoLodge we found inside the state line. Tomorrow gets us to Cleveland and a long stop at the Rock n Roll Musuem. Yea, we all really just want to be home, but 4 hours walking around while checking out something we'll all enjoy is probably just as important. Let me tell you, 3 days of basically sitting is not good for anyone's back or hips.

It feels pretty good to be past the half way point, and to be back East again. The hardest part of tomorrow for me will be actually stopping in New York and not pushing through to just get home. I guess it'll depend on how well we sleep tonight, and just how cool the museum is.

*Today's winners get this print from Excelsior Geyser at Yellowstone. It's my favorite thing we saw in the Park.

9 comments:

Meg said...

Oooh! Oooh! I know! It's from The Music Man! (I feel like Hermione Granger...)

Glad you are back in EDT. I know that you are ready to be home, but I have so enjoyed these travelogues you have written. It was almost like being on the trip with you!

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Glad to know my updates were enjoyable to read; I sure liked writing them.

It's looking like one more hotel 'til home...

Amity said...

Music is not my "thing" but I LOVE THIS PRINT so please consider me for the drawing....I LOVE THIS PRINT. If I say it again will it make up for my utter lack of musical knowledge? I LOVE IT.

The Buck Shoots Here said...

And then you shall have a copy. Not a drawing at all, but gifts for anyone who plays. SEE YOU SOON! Is summer school done yet? If not, come on over after class on Tues if you'd like.

Traveling Jones said...

That must be the one song from The Music Man that I don't have memorized.

Amity said...

Yay!!!

The Buck Shoots Here said...

Hoyden, it might be the opening chorus number, right after the train scene (cash for the merchandise...)

It helps having been in it, certainly.

Traveling Jones said...

But you gotta know the territory. Who's gonna pay for an itsy-bitsy two-by-four kinda store anymore? What you talk? What you talk? But you gotta know the territory!

Marian, Madam Librarian. He gave River City the library bulding, but he left all the books to her.

There were Seventy-six trombones in the big parade.

And Gary, Indiana? Gary, Indiana, Gary, Indiana -- my home sweet home.

I watched that play almost as many times as you acted in it. :)

The Buck Shoots Here said...

We drove through Gary, Indiana-- twice. I've been singing that one too...