Wednesday, April 09, 2008

jedi mind tricks

So for the first time all year, I beat Mike to the kids drop off point on a LAW. Now, I should not have to point out how difficult it is for me to get out of the house by 7:15, drop the kids, and get to school by 7:30 on the dot. I so hate getting out of bed, and once we spring forward, well, it's really not pretty. (For those of you who've played along since the beginning, this is truly the main reason I hate EDT.) So what's a struggling night owl teacher to do? The same thing struggling high school and college kids do: set the alarm clock ahead. Yes, I know the clock is fast, and I have more time than Mickey says, but when you look over and see 7: 12 staring at you, adrenaline kicks in and you get up. Once you're up you remember "Damn, it's only 7:00" but you're up, so you get moving. (And yes, it really does only take me 15 minutes to get out the door. It's a skill I've been mastering since 1985-- and my kids have learned to do the same!)

So anyhow, the last quarter of the year is notoriously difficult for me to just get up. Without the mind games, I might get a nasty gram left in my personnel file. I still love my job as soon as I get to school, but if we could somehow start the day at 10, my life would be the best place ever.

1 comment:

SJane said...

Maybe the River Valley Bloggers can partition Dr. Tom for a 10 am start for the 4th quarter. We have already lost enough teaching time do to snow, what's a little more so that we can all come in well rested?