Saturday, February 07, 2009

desperate times


call for desperate measures! I found this log on the side of Rt 2 today on our way home from the Bangor Auditorium. So, I turned around and went back for it. It's bigger than it looks-- Girly rode next to it as it went all the way to the back of my seat! It was also very pitchy-- I bought a bottle of rubbing alcohol when we stopped in FarmTown for groceries. We were safely in the breakdown lane, so no logging trucks were going to kill us. It may only get us a day of heat, but that's one more day than we had-- and a free day at that!

5 comments:

phenomemom said...

Please say Happy Birthday to the boy for me! :)

Wendy said...

Hey, there's nothing wrong with that! I drive to Gorham two days a week along a fairly rural route, and I'm always looking off into the woods thinking I should invest in a chain saw and do a little culling of some of the fallen trees while I'm out that way :).

I'm hoping to find a lot of "free" wood on freecycle next year. In the past there have always been a lot of "offers" for firewood, but I'm thinking with the way things are, people might stop giving it away ;). Guess we'll see.

Anyway, keep on keeping those eyes open.

The Buck Shoots Here said...

I need to get more info on this freecycle thing. Website? Statewide? I think I could LOVE it :)

Wendy said...

Check it out at freecycle.org. It's a national thing, actually, with small spin-off groups all over the place. The group's philosophy is to share items that one no longer needs with others who might be able to use them in an effort to keep usable stuff out of landfills. It's "RE"cycling on another level.

It's a great program - if you can get around the no-shows and the "gimmes." :).

Omelay said...

we have gone through 20% more wood this year so far.